HOWTO: Copy & Paste between Local and Remote Desktop

This HowTo covers how to copy and paste the files/text/graphics (Clipboard) content between remote desktop session and local computer in Windows XP.

Follow the following instruction in both local and remote computers.

Go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services. Enable and start the following services in the order shown below:

1. Network DDE DSDM 2. Network DDE 3. ClipBook

If you want to see the clipboard action in live:

You can go to Start->Run and type clipbrd and click OK to run clip board viewer. You will be shown current clipboard objects in this viewer.

Now you can use standard copy/paste menu options of the applications in both the computers to exchange the data.

25 comments for “HOWTO: Copy & Paste between Local and Remote Desktop

1. September 30, 2008 at 4:59 pm

This is great help for me,thx a lot for all this,now I can go on my next step.THX

2. laura savitri
    August 27, 2008 at 2:39 am

Thank you Chinmay!!

3. August 6, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Hey,

Thanks a lot……it is working fine…

Keep Posting…..

Bye.
    Your’s
    Balazee Chilla

4. Ankush
    July 30, 2008 at 11:42 am

Waoooooo. Such a great help. Thanks Chinmay.

5. Ricardo
    July 25, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Thank you very much!!!

6. Sourabh
    July 11, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Hey Nice trick… thanks a lot for sharing this information

Sourabh

7. Chinmay Trivedi
    June 26, 2008 at 10:41 am

TO do this the best way is …

1. GO to Start->All Programs->Accessories-> Communications-> Remote Desktop Connection -> Options -> Local Resources -> check the DISK DRIVES option and connect to the remote PC the copy paste work automaticaly…

8. Daniel
    April 18, 2008 at 2:09 am

download
    and exctact in, do not try to install. Perform manual install in a way describer in misrocoft support in Article ID : 244732.
    As far as I checked it works fine on windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server, in combination with first solutin dascribed here

9. maxi_smile
    November 27, 2007 at 11:51 am
  10. Nishant
    November 15, 2007 at 6:04 pm

Start all three Services, But Still I am not able to copy and paste Between Local and Remote Machine.

11. renish
    October 31, 2007 at 5:57 am

Hey great info it worked for me… thanks so much!!!

12. yowa
    October 26, 2007 at 11:42 am

very good,thanks

13. GG
    October 13, 2007 at 3:33 am

Gordo,
    Your trick worked. Thanks a lot. I was having this problem for a long time. ….

GG

14. October 1, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Not sure if this info is outdated or not but none of these three services were running on my client or server and starting them did not help.

What I did find that helped: to fix a copy/paste funcation no longer working on a remote desk toptop connection, go to the remote desktop server, task manager – kill “rdpclip.exe” and then restart it by clicking start->run and typing rdpclip.exe

copy/paste started working again good as usual after this. No need to run any of these services.

15. MANOJ
    September 29, 2007 at 7:28 am

Thanks buddy!

16. kranthikata
    August 10, 2007 at 12:16 pm

hi

still not able to copy & paste please help me

17. July 11, 2007 at 2:41 pm

18. Cherith Paisley
    July 5, 2007 at 3:38 am

19. Parks
    June 21, 2007 at 10:11 pm

I tried this great trick that I have been wanting to do for oh so long, but I suspect my systems are just not up to date enough! I have all the services and started them in the required order, but get this message: ClipBook Viewer – The Clipbook service is not available from a Terminal Server remote session. My workstation is Windows 2000 Pro and the remote system is Windows 2000 Server. Nice try! Thanks for the tip!

20. Saravanan
    June 12, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Hi there, i hope this is such a wonterfull tip which you cannot find in many places and most people dont know including me. But unfortunately its not working for me. My local machine is Windows XP and Remote client is Windows 2003 standard. I have enabled all the services whatever you mentioned above.

Anything else i should do, to acheive this functionality. Please help.

21. sandy
    June 1, 2007 at 9:04 pm

have been searching for this for a long time.. thanks a lot for sucha useful tip

22. Jisa
    June 1, 2007 at 3:19 pm

Thank you so much.. This helped me a lot

23. George
    March 30, 2007 at 3:59 am

THANKS SO MUCH! This was bugging me for the longest time.

24. adrien
    February 7, 2007 at 9:26 pm

hi there, just came across this site when doing a search on the subject.
    when connected to a 2003 terminal server i am able to copy/paste files (word documents) between the local desktop and the terminal desktop.
    when remotely connecting to another XP machine on the same network, i am not able to achieve that ability. if i try to manually open clipbrd on the remote session, i get an error stating that the clipbook service cannot start on a terminal server session.

is anyone else able to copy and paste entire files between xp -> xp sessions ?

25. Betina
    January 26, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Great tip! Thank you very much! I’ve been dealing with this problem since weeks!! THANKS from ARGENTINA!