Today, I have got my Google Android Dev Phone 1. It is powered by Google Android Operating system which is an open source OS. This phone is SIM unlocked and boot loader unlocked. This version of phone is meant for developers to play with the real device. For more information on phone you may please visit this site.
I am living in India. Right now I am in San Jose, USA on a official work. Since shipping cost is too high to order this mobile from India, I ordered here in USA to save this cost. The phone costs $399. To order this phone, you should register with Android Market as a developer. This registration costs $25. In this market site, you can download both Paid and Free applications for Android mobile.
Here are the photos of my Open Source Android phone, powered by mighty Linux Kernel.
Officially to activate the phone, you need to have a SIM with data plan. I don’t have mobile connection here in USA (short term visit). So through google, I found this link to activiate the phone using android debugger tool, USB cable and Wireless internet connection. It was activated by following that post. Any way for archival purpose, let me give the steps here also, thanks to that link.
The configuration of Phone is:
- Touch screen
- 3.2 Megapixel camera with auto focus
- Bluetooth v2.0
- Handsfree profile v1.5
- Headset profile v1.0
- 3G WCDMA (1700/2100 MHz)
- Quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
- QWERTY slider keyboard
- Includes 1GB MicroSD card (Can be replaced with up to 16GB card)
- Included in the box
- HTC Android Dev Phone 1
- USB Cable
- AC Adapter (with US plug)
- Stereo Hands-Free Headset
- Getting Starting Guide
- 1G Micro SD Card (inserted into Device)
- Real web browsing
- Customizable home screen
- One-touch Google™ Search
- Android Market
- Full-featured Google applications:
- Google Maps™
- Google Calendar™
- Google Talk™
- SMS and MMS
- Music player
Development Platform Features
- SIM unlocked – Put any SIM in the device
- Hardware unlocked – Rebuild the Android operating system, and load it onto the device
- Test out your apps on real hardware before publishing them to the world
How to activate without SIM, using wireless internet?
- Go to the command shell (prompt).
- Connect the device to your computer using the USB cable. You should be able to see a listing for your device if you run adb devices. Then execute the following commands.
- $ adb shell
- $ su
- $ cd /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases
- $ sqlite3 settings.db
- INSERT INTO system (name, value) VALUES (‘device_provisioned’, 1);
- $ reboot
- $ adb shell
- am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Go ahead and setup your wireless and then sign up using your Google account.
Now it is time to explore the device, keep watching this site for more Android stuff!