Recently I watched Google Wave key note address, which runs for 100 mins approx. It describes all the features in Google Wave product which has been released in Preview status. 1,00,000 users have been invited to test it. I am expecting my invitation. Before going through my understanding from this video, let me give snippet of definition available in Google Wave.
About Google Wave
Google Wave is an online tool for real-time communication and collaboration. A wave can be both a conversation
and a document where people can discuss and work together using richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more.
What is a wave?
1. A wave is equal parts conversation and document. People can communicate and work together with richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more.
2. A wave is shared. Any participant can reply anywhere in the message, edit the content and add participants at any point in the process. Then playback lets anyone rewind the wave to see who said what and when.
3. A wave is live. With live transmission as you type, participants on a wave can have faster conversations, see edits and interact with extensions in real-time.
Screenshot of Google Wave
1. Wave presents the threaded message in a more clean and elegant way.
2. It is highly interactive to such an extent that keying in of message is displayed in another end of communication in real time.
3. When a new person joins a already nexisting long message thread, he won’t be lost. He has to just press the play back option in the thread, to play back the sequence of communication happened.
4. Drag & Drop of files from local machine to your wave message. In case of pictures, the thumbnails are displayed online in real time.
5. In single click, a message thread (including pictures) can be blogged in blogger.
6. Any comment in blog post is available in wave message thread also in real time and vice versa.
7. Orkut scraps and messages are also integrated with Google Wave.
8. Wave application will be available for both Android phones and iPhones with complete features (obvious that you need 3G).
9. Google Doc is tightly integrated in Wave. Open, Edit in colloboration mode in real time.
10. Multiple users can edit a document simultaneouly in real time. Yes, I meant simultaneously means more than one cursor (user) editing the document simultaneouly.
11. International language support which includes Input methods for 45 languages at least.
12. On the fly translation like while typing in one language, the same is displayed at another end in another language.
13. Spell checker on the fly and auto correction and learning for manual correction.
14. A wave (message thread) can hyperlink the another wave.
15. Twitter is integrated in Wave, which results in tweets can be made in wave and better real time twitter search.
16. Google Wave supports the Extension framework, which makes any third party application (especially social network sites) can be integrated into Wave.
17. Rich text editor can identify the urls and create hyperlinks automatically.
18. Search is also integrated. One of the use case is you can drag & drop the images in image search result into wave.
19. Poll can be organized, voted and results can be obtained in real time.
20. Real time multiplayer Gaming and play back of movements in game is possible.
21. Map viewing (including zooming) is in real time, both the end can see the same portion of map simultaneously.
22. Youtube like video can be embedded.
23. Issue Tracking system (can be Bug tracking) is incorporated in Wave.
24. I think Google Wave may do everything except our kitchen work 🙂
1. It needs high speed internet connection.
1. I don’t know the exact target user for this communication system. If it is going to be corporate users, still cloud computing is not reliable(often Google Apps fails) which makes it difficult for the corporates to switch over. If it is meant for casual users, the user interface may be difficult for the casual user.
2. Google has made the API for this communication system as open, called Google Wave Federation Protocol. This will enable other players in the field to compete with Google on Wave Communication platform services.
3. I don’t know how far it would be used for productive purpose.
4. Last but not least, Google has amazed me with their preview demo. Let us hope for the best product as in demo.