Ubuntu uses Centralized password management tool called Seahorse. This tool is a front end GUI to GNOME’s keyring management system. In simple this tool stores all passwords with a master password which is normally same as login password. This tool can manage your PGP keys, SSH Keys and pass phrases we use in different applications in Ubuntu.

You can find the Seahorse tool in Ubuntu main menu -> Applications -> Accessories -> Passwords and Encryption Keys.

In practical I face a problem once I change my login password. You can change password either through System -> Preference -> About me -> Change Password… or you can use shell command passwd. I use to change my password in either of these ways. In both the cases, I encounter Enter password to unlock your login keyring prompt dialog box during my first login after changing password.

SeaHorse uses your login password as master password to unlock its pass phrase storage box. When you change the password, it is NOT updated to SeaHorse (at least, this is what I believe). So the new login password fails to unlock Seahorse storage box.

The simple command line way to do it is to remove the ~/.gnome2/keyrings/login.keyring.

In GUI way:

Step-1: Ubuntu main menu -> Applications -> Accessories -> Passwords and Encryption Keys

Step-2: In Passwords tab, right click Passwords: login. In the menu select Change Password… option.

Step-3: Enter your old login password and new login passwords.

You are done. Next time, it won’t ask for any login password for GNOME keyring. If Ubuntu integrate this change while changing the user password, it would be better user experience.

25 comments for “How to get rid of “Enter password to unlock your login keyring” prompt in Ubuntu

1. mredude420@yahoo.com
    February 23, 2013 at 5:23 am

My solution to this problem was unique and original. YAY!!! After trying everyone elses solution and just making the gnome desktop worse, I finally discovered that it was vino-server that was loading the gnome-keyring password prompt thing. Not a function of the gnome-keyring itself. So I went to http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/vino/2.32/ and got the source code to vino and compiled it with the ./configure –disable-gnome-keyring switch. I hoped I spelled all that right. a ./configure –help | list will list the correct switch to use. But it says –enable and not –disable but disable works. But I had to install the gnome-keyring-1 development libraries anyway even though it didn’t use them. So anyways after I compiled vino and installed it, oh yeah, even though I did a make install the vino-server binary didn’t get installed. A fight to the bitter end. So I had to manually copy that out of the source directory and I choose to put it into /usr/local/lib dir and make a symbolic link from the old vino-server, locate vino-server will tell ya where it is, something like /usr/lib/vino I think, to the new vino-sever. Rebooted. Had to turn remote desktop on again, and… and…

IT WORKED!!! No gnome-keyring password prompt when I log in with vnc to my :0 desktop.

2. Mstevetodd
    April 26, 2012 at 12:33 am

Worked for me. Thanks!

3. March 16, 2012 at 1:56 am

thanks for the info. really helped me out. that popup was annoying to say the least

4. Nope
    December 7, 2011 at 7:04 am

I got a old password doesn’t match. Then I remembered that JUL8 sets the default password to owner…. Supplied that and it let me change the password

5. Gramail
    November 20, 2011 at 2:18 am

I am also driven mad by this “Enter password to unlock your login keyring” feature. I do know the password for that but don’t want to type it in every 5 minutes. But I’m none the wiser after reading all these different answers, several times! Can anyone give me a simple solution that doesn’t involve ‘command lines’ (unless you tell me WHERE to type these things!)., I don’t know what a keyring is and just want rid of it. If there are several levels called ‘login’ or ‘keyring’ or ‘master’ then it’s no wonder I’m confused and don’t know which is which. But which of the above advice or solutions applies to my situation?

6. dogpizza
    October 27, 2011 at 4:56 pm

What I did was to remove the old keystore with:
    killall -9 gnome-keyring-daemon
    rm -fr ~/.gnome2/keyrings

and then on the first prompt to enter a new keyring password, i.e. when starting empathy or NetworkManager, I simply press , a warning appears asking ‘Use insecure storage?’, where I press one more time. From now on, you won’t be asked about passwords anymore.
    And yes, this is insecure; if you are paranoid, don’t do it.

7. CARL97
    September 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm

THATS A LOAD OF RUBBISH.

8. Mr WordPres$uccess
    August 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm

The reason I changed my password was because my password (or at least what I thought was my password) wasn’t working. Then I encountered this keyring problem. The only solution I found was to choose “Delete” rather than “Change Password” and then I was able to proceed with my work because the system prompted me to create a new keyring when I reached the point where it was required.

9. Mark
    June 17, 2011 at 9:46 pm

The GUI way worked for me on Fedora 14 with VNC. The Choose Password prompt came up twice but it worked – thanks!

10. Julien Archille
    April 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Thank you! It works ;)

11. March 25, 2011 at 8:35 am

thank you.. for this it is very use full for me..

12. Rana shakti singh
    March 21, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I forget password for login keyring please tell me how to got the password or break the password

13. newbie
    February 18, 2011 at 12:49 am

Deleting the login.keyring file from ~/.gnome2/keyrings does work, but I chose to do it differently in case I want to re-enable the password later. I followed the steps shown above for the “GUI version,” but I chose to leave the New Password and Confirm boxes blank. Enter the password you use to unlock the keyring in Old Password, and choose OK without entering anything into Password and Confirm. Accept the warning dialog, and reboot to test it. It should work. If you want to re-enable the password later, do the same thing, but enter a password into the Password and Confirm boxes. Keep in mind that a “blank” password is the same as no password at all (as far as security goes)!

14. David
    February 12, 2011 at 8:27 am

Try this:
    1) Go to System->Preferences->Passwords and Encryption Keys
    2) To the left of Passwords: Login there will be an arrow click it.
    3) You will find a lot of random things-> Click the first “Desktop Couch user authentication”
    4) A new window should pop up with three tabs; key, details, applications. -> On the first tab “Key” at the bottom is the word “Password” click the arrows to the left of it.
    5) You will get a lot of dots check the box next to show password, then copy that bunch of letters/numbers.
    6) Paste that bunch of numbers in “Enter Password to Unlock Your Login Keyring”
    7) Another pop-up
    8) In that pop-up type your current password for old password and your current password for new password and your current password for confirm
    9) Worked for me and I figured this out. ( I am 13)

Good luck,
    Post any comments I will try to help!

• August 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm

You’re 13, my ass. Probably 20 years old and wishing you still lived with mommy and daddy. These “I’m 13 years old” posts are getting old, real old.

15. lynie
    February 7, 2011 at 6:24 am

what is the old password ? is it the password that i use to log in ? cause i try key in the old password (my log in password) and key in the new password. but it didnt work.

16. Gopal
    February 4, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I have the same problem as Mario. Even after carrying out the steps mentioned above, the keyring message and the enter authentication messages keep popping up.

17. Dick D
    February 1, 2011 at 3:07 am

My problem fixed. Thanks!

18. Mario Pineda
    December 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I followed the above procedures, but I still get the same message to unlock the keyring.I am using the Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat).

19. haggis
    August 1, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Thank you. Entering in two passwords was a real annoyance. More because I didn’t know why than the actual inconvenience. Both problems solved.

20. Pothi
    August 1, 2010 at 11:18 am

I worked correctly. God rid of this annoyance now. Thanks much!