Recently I switched over to Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). Here is my review on LMDE. There are some minor glitches I found while working on this system.

I encounter Enter password to unlock your login keyring prompt dialog box once I logged in. In Ubuntu this dialog I have encountered after changing the user password. But in Mint it happened right from installation. Here is a simple technique to fix this.

Linux Mint uses Centralized password management tool called Seahorse. This tool is a front end GUI to GNOME’s keyring management system. In simple this tool stores all passwords with a master password which is normally same as login password. This tool can manage your PGP keys, SSH Keys and pass phrases we use in different applications in Mint.

You can find the Seahorse tool in Mint menu -> All Applications -> Preferences -> Passwords and Encryption Keys.

Passwords and Encryption Keys

In Passwords tab, select Passwords: Login and select Change Password in context menu. This will ask for old and new password. If you have not changed your user password, just enter the current password for both old and new. If you have changed the password just enter old and new passwords.

This is how I fixed. I hope you too can :-)

7 comments for “How to get rid of “Enter password to unlock your login keyring” in Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)

1. Gold Mine Stock
    June 7, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Whats up bro????
    Thanks for sharing information.

2. November 11, 2011 at 7:44 am

I’ve experienced it once and it’s irritating every time it pops out! Now, I could get rid of it permanently out of my sight. Thanks!

3. November 8, 2011 at 11:29 am

It’s been my problem last week,then I’ve read your post (searched it). Thanks for the solution! It works!

4. November 3, 2011 at 7:07 am

Thanks for sharing information. In case that this would occur on mine,I know now what to do. I’ll keep your steps in mind.

5. Dogpizza
    October 27, 2011 at 4:50 pm

What I did was to remove the old keystore with:
    killall -9 gnome-keyring-daemon
    rm -fr ~/.gnome2/keyrings

and then on the first prompt to enter a new keyring password, i.e. when starting empathy or NetworkManager, I simply press , a warning appears asking ‘Use insecure storage?’, where I press one more time. From now on, you won’t be asked about passwords anymore.
    And yes, this is insecure; if you are paranoid, don’t do it.

• November 1, 2011 at 7:12 am

I would like to try it but since you’ve said it’s unsecured I’ll just try Black’s steps.

• Bruce Korb
      April 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I tried that. I think I have the Phoenix version of seahorse, tho.