Configuring TP-LINK TD-8816 ADSL2+ Modem/Router for BSNL Broadband
Recently I have changed my Modem/Router. It is due to highly unstable internet connection offered by overheating D-Link DSL-2520U Modem/Router. When I had installed this modem with BSNL broadband I had written a post on how to configure it for BSNL broadband. Many people found it to be useful till today. Inspired from it I am going to write about my new Modem/Router TP-LINK ADSL2+ Modem Router TD-8816.
As mentioned in User Guide follow the steps given below to connect to Modem.
- Connect Modem Ethernet port to PC’s Ethernet port through RJ-45 LAN cable and DSL port to splitter DSL port through RJ-11 Telephone cable.
- Ensure that your PC’s TCP/IP connection is configured for DHCP settings so that it can get IP address from Modem/Router.
- Power on both Modem and PC.
- Modem’s all LED indicators except “Internet” LED will start glowing/flashing.
- Now connect to http://192.168.1.1 from your browser. Both Username and Password is “admin”. You should be welcome by a small web server running in Modem/Router.
- Now let us see the configuration parameter to be input while wizard started. In my case Setup Wizard not started automatically. You may click “Quick Start” tab to get “RUN WIZARD” button. If you miss wizard, no worries – feel free to go to tabs shown on screen to configure the following to get Internet connected.
Follow the wizard with configuration as shown below in the screenshots.
You need to input following configuration in the wizard:
ISP Connection Type: PPPoE/PPPoA
Username: <BSNL should have provided you – if not call them to get it>
Password: <BSNL should have provided you – if not call them to get it>
Connection Type: PPPoE LLC
The above configuration data should be enough to get your internet up. In case not up, you may refer Status -> System Log tab in configuration page for error logs. This log should help you a lot.
Summary of Configuration
In case of any trouble, you may refer the following configuration page which summarizes all settings. Don’t forget to change password of admin user. Follow Maintenance -> Administration to set new password. Once configuration is done successfully you may backup configuration with Maintenance -> Firmware -> ROMFILE SAVE option.